Monday 8 December 2008

Another Monday

Following on from my previous entry - yes, it was the selfsame job! I thought it was too good to be true. I had a good chat with the agent - it appears that things are quiet. That'll be why he made the time to talk to me..!

I've had a fruitless week searching for likely employment. I even went down to Tesco to see if there was any temporary work - but there wasn't anything listed on the noticeboard. Perhaps the students have got there first..

Realistically, I'm not likely to find anything before Christmas, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I see the same jobs cropping up (and rolling round) on the Leicester/Nottingham/Derby circuit. It would be a happy hunting ground if I were a .NET developer with SAS, C++, C#, ASP, MySQL and web design under my belt. It would also help if I spoke fluent Albanian and Portuguese. There are many exciting (yawn) opportunities for such people - if they even exist. If they do, I hope they have the requisite degree at the right grade from the right university, and they're prepared to endure endless hassle and stress for £19K. It's a wonderful world out there - you just have to be the right cherry to be picked.

Despite my apparent cynicism, I'm not in despair: this whole unemployment thing is for me an exercise in patience. Not a commodity I have in shedloads..

What I will not do is to present myself on my CV as someone who can solve all the world's problems before breakfast. There are too many of these types already, and they either deceive themselves (because they're chronically self-deluded) or they deceive others because they're style merchants. There will always be those who are ready to listen to them. Look at any political party conference, and you'll know what I mean.

No comments: